Wednesday, February 25, 2009

All Day Uno

23-25 Feb

Greetings

We have had an eventful last several days. Much time at the orphanage and some forward progress on the adoption.

First, my description of the average living conditions here seemed to be a big hit, (at least with the Midwest Quiram headquarters staff). So, continuing that genre, here is some food information. These are pictures of this morning’s breakfast. Our waitress Lela was here 2 years ago and she remembered us (and us her). She always has a friendly smile that makes us feel welcome. This morning’s breakfast was some sausage, cucumbers, tomatoes, a dab of ketchup, orange juice and an espresso. We enjoy the juices as they are different every day and seem to be less sweet and more flavorful than in America. We have had orange juice, apricot juice, cherry juice, apple juice, and pomegranate. Most mornings we also get a yogurt of some kind. It’s Dannon brand, but again is much better tasting – smoother and less sugar. I (Tim) am the only coffee drinker, so when Lela isn’t looking I switch my empty cup for Charlene’s. Today she caught me so I asked her in Russian to not start a little investigation (all in fun of course).

As we went to breakfast we saw either an armored truck for cash or paddy wagon sitting in front of the hotel. I thought back to Solzhenitsyn’s “Gulag Archipelago” and hoped they weren’t here for us!

Yesterday we had a world’s record Uno game with Katya and Tanya. Tanya’s strategy wasn’t to win the game, only to save draw-4’s to use on the person about to win – or me (usually me). Katya has a smile on her face whenever we see her. Yesterday I asked why and she said because Papa and Mama were here, she was coming to America – and she had candy to eat. It made us think how brave Sophie was to be adopted by us. Katya has been to our house, knows her brothers, and has a good idea what she’s getting into. Sophie didn’t know us, her brothers, had never been to America and was taking a big step of faith that things would be good!

We got a nice tour of the orphanage yesterday. We saw the sewing classroom, wood and metal shop, and a basement boxing room. This photo of Katya was taken in the basement near the boxing area.

I (Tim) also had the unique opportunity to try out a Ukrainian snow bicycle. One of the cafeteria workers let me give it a test ride. The entire kitchen crew watched out of the window as I took it for a spin. I thought they were watching to see whether I fell, Oles told me they were worried I wouldn’t come back with it!

Oles is in Kyiv today turning in paperwork to the SDA. We should hear from him any time on how things went. We hope to have dinner with Katya’s caregiver Olha and her husband tomorrow night.

Please continue your prayers – also know that it is very encouraging to read your comments on the blog, so please don’t hesitate to say something.

SDG,

Tim and Charlene

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, the Ukrainian hotdog breakfast! We remember them well! You get two thumbs up for that review -- dead on, and now that I think if it...I sort of miss those "variety breakfasts" (except for the hotdogs)...so much less sugar than the usual American bowl of whatever-Os! You get points off however, for not thinking to bring your bicycle helmet on the trip. Though the furry hat was probably enough protection. Hang in there and enjoy those Uno days....you are bringing joy to all of the other kids you encounter!
~Jean, Jim & co.

- said...

We are checking the blog every morning and love keeping up with the news. We are praying that you all stay healthy, and the paperwork keeps moving forward.

The Bracco Gang

Rahn's Journey said...

I can't say I miss our Ukrainian breakfast at Hotel Berdyansk. Every morning I would order oatmeal, point to it on the menu and almost everyday they would bring out FISH. The only time I would get oatmeal is when we had an interpreter. I have to admit I enjoy their juices. Your not saying too much about Tanya, is there a chance that she is coming to the Quiram family? We continue to wait to hear about your court date, I am keeping track of time for our own trip out. I spoke to Sophie at church on Sunday, she looked adorable. Nancy and Laura left today for Ukraine. They will be in Kiev on Thursday. God bless you all, the Rahn family is praying for you every night.
Fran

Jon and Jenny, Alex, Jonah, and Isaac, said...

Just wanted to let you know that Jenny and I are really enjoying your blog. Simple updates like this one have really got us excited for leaving for Ukraine in Aug.

Gary and Beverly said...

I agree with Jean & Jim, great description Tim! Brings back memories for us too.

Beverly called and told me that she had the Quiram clan over for dinner Tuesday night. Some of them headed back home right after they ate to do "homework" but a few hung around to play "Rock Band". It sounds like they had fun.

We're keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

Gary

Amanda said...

Hey Charline!
I just read up on your blog... I'm so jealous of all of your cultural experiences. It's good to hear things are moving forward, and we miss you a ton in Russian class.

Keep the updates coming, and good luck with everything!
Amanda

Karen said...

Oh Tim I am glad you are amussing the Ukrainians up north...keeping things exciting with riding bikes in the snow and all! Praying things are going well-- I tried to call yesterday- but no luck..will try you all later :)
Karen

Unknown said...

Glad to see you are enjoying Ukrainian quisine and getting your exercise bicycling in the snow! I'll never forget the Uno games at the orphange and how all the kids enjoyed it (we did too)! It was such joy having fun playing a universal game with the kids. We saw Will get baptized last Sunday, how awesome!! Praying you get a court date soon and that all continues with God's grace.
Take care,
Debbie, Dale & girls