Monday, March 30, 2009

Out of Touch

The past couple of days we haven’t been able to connect to the internet. The hotel manager says he hopes tomorrow morning it will be up and running. In the meantime, we are experiencing the lazy waiting days of the adoption. The highlight of the last two days was dinner with Conner and Koren (kind-of like Karen with an o) at their lovely home in a suburb of Chernigov. We enjoyed great food and conversation, Ukraine-style, all around the kitchen table. Conner and Koren have been missionary church-planters in Ukraine for nine years now. They shared amazing stories of God’s work through them in this country. Their love for Ukraine and Ukrainians is evident. Their children, Gavin and Emma, are adorable (see for yourself in this picture).

I loved that their neighbor was out feeding her chickens as we entered their yard. I really miss Will’s chickens and those fresh eggs! And Tim, I know you would’ve loved visiting with them, so I invited them to our home for May 5-9th when they’ll be driving from Alabama to Maine!
Katya and I noticed this sidewalk message on our way to the market. It says, “Olga I love you” in Russian. I imagine Olga is a resident of the apartments above. That’s the thing about Ukraine—there is always a beautiful surprise!
Well, Oles and Katya re-taught me how to play Durock. I think I’ve got it this time, because I beat Oles twice in a row. The stakes were high too. The winner chooses what the durock must do: Oles was supposed to run up and down the hallway stairs yelling, “I’m crazy” at the top of his voice. Since I was very hungry and there was the largest group of dressed-up folks in the lobby since we’d gotten to Chernigov, I kindly relented in favor of dinner at MammaMias. Katya’s really good, too. She’s been playing since she was four. Well, that’s all for now. SDG Charlene

No comments: